Monday, March 3, 2014

MARCH FAMILY HISTORY FUN


Thomas Waddoups      4 March 1816     England         (Howard Page side)




James Darling Ross   5 March 1824      Auchterarder, Perthshire, Scotland    (Grandma Lou side)
      James had a hard childhood in Scotland due to his father who was most often drunk.  He left home at a young age and made his way as a weaver.  At the age of 31 he married Sarah Harris but lost his wife and baby son in the first year of marriage.  He was serving a mission for the church in London area and met his second wife Sarah Elizabeth Smith. He got special permission to marry while on his mission. James served as the captain of the ship they sailed on to emigrate. They had 6 children, 3 were born in SLC after they had crossed the plains on foot.  James Ross was a faithful leader in the church and served another mission to Scotland/England leaving his wife Sarah with his or her young family.  He was known as “the walking bible”.  He earned his living as an attorney when they settled in Utah. 

Elaine Todd (Page)                          20 March 1924                   Panguitch Garfield Utah
                I want to be like Grandma Page… fun, compassionate, well read, “demur”, fun, a splendid baker of rolls, pies, and cookies, creative story teller, patient, and know how to make people feel good and did I say funny.
Grandma Page loved to have fun and told great stories.  One story she told was of sneaking into her room late one night only to find the visiting General Authority (her Dad was the Stake Pres.) asleep in her bed.



Alfred Jones Burton                       21 March 1862                   Salt Lake City, Utah  (Elaine Page side)
As a young boy, Alfred, was sent to the family ranch in Peoa Utah to train horses and spent the rest of his life breaking, riding and driving horses. He did not have much formal education so his wife Elizabeth Peart taught him to read and many other things. He was in the sand and gravel business for his livelihood. He was very shy and never spoke in church but was faithful and often gave blessings to the sick.  He had 10 children and taught them to work hard and love the gospel.


Thomas Graham Doxey                 22 March 1874               Warsop, Norfolk, England   (Graham Doxey side)
                Thomas was the young orphaned boy Grandpa Doxey often talked about.  Toms mother died when he was 4 or 5 and his father left him.  He had a younger sister who passed away when she was 14.  He joined the LDS Church in England and emigrated with his Grandma Schofield in 1889.  He was 15 at the time. He married Emma Pearl Hayes and they had 7 children.  He writes, “As I grew up I got into poor company and my life was not the choicest, however, when I got married, I received a choice prize as my dear wife, who is kind and patient, clean and pure, and all that is desirable and my children are obedient, sweet, pure, and wholesome. They have all been a great aid in reclaiming me. I am 5 feet 8 inches high, sandy complexioned (red hair), weigh 180 pounds, which is an increase of 25 pounds over normal.”

Graham Watson Doxey                 30 March 1927                   Salt Lake City, Utah
                As you all know Grandpa personally, I will add my thoughts about “my Dad”.  He was a gentle, quiet giant.  He was always wise in his advice and slow to overreact to things.  Dad had a sarcastic sense of humor.  He liked a pun.  I loved Saturday nights after baths because he would brush out our hair while we watched TV and then enjoy graham crackers and milk.  He was an artist and poet with beautiful, left-handed, penmanship.  He loved my mother and his family and the Lord and showed it in all he did.

2 comments:

Libbi said...

I know I say this every time, but seriously-- I LOVE this. I especially like the Thomas's! I need to learn more about these men so I can teach Tommy and George about their namesakes.

Courtney said...

I love hearing these stories! Keep them coming!!