Mary Ann Waddoups (married John Thomas Page)
born 3 January 1845
Her father Thomas was a catholic and her mother Elizabeth
was from the Church of England. They
joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and were devout people.
At age 17, Mary Ann was sent to Liverpool England alone to
join the Saints in Utah. She sailed
across the sea in “The Monarch of the Sea” in the early summer of 1862. Midway across the ocean, they encountered a
terrible storm, which damaged the main mast sail so the boat leaned heavily to
one side. The captain had all passengers tie themselves to the boat below deck
and they finished the remaining five weeks in those unfortunate conditions.
Mary Ann joined the wagon company of Captain Joseph
Rollin’s. She walked the entire way
across the plains. They had to ford all the rivers and streams to help keep the
wagons light so she would walk in wet clothing after crossing the water but
never caught cold. When they crossed the
water five girls would lock arms to help keep each other from floating off.
Mary Ann worked and saved the money to help the rest of her
family come to America. She married
Thomas J Page in 1867. They lived in Bountiful and raised 8
children.

Graham Hayes Doxey
born 5 January 1900
This was my Grandpa Doxey. I remember him as a very compassionate loving man. He loved having his family around him and was always taking us to movies, on picnics and to the golf course in their back yard to find stray balls. He nicknamed me "Missy" and I always felt he loved me most.
Gaylen Snow Young
born 14 January 1892This was my Grandpa Young, my Moms Dad. He was an attorney and a judge in the SLC court. He was very tall and thin and athletic. He walked downtown to work and swam at the Deseret gym everyday. He loved bowling and golf and flip his grandchildren upside down. He always wore a ticklish mustache.
Brigham Morris Youngborn 18 January 1854
There is an unusual story about him on Wikipedia look it up!
Mary Louise Young
born 27 January 1930
3 comments:
Thanks for the new post! I also liked the thing in the side bar: "who says an empty nest is no fun?"
I love this! Thank you for doing it. (P.S. Feel free to swap out my picture in the side bar. I'm feeling way outclassed by the beauties on the beach and the cool folks on the elephant.)
Great idea Mom! I really love it and I already can't wait for the February post!
Post a Comment