Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ex Cathedra

I decided to see if I could, without help or instructions, post something. I will know if it shows up on the blog. I will also learn something about my children depending on whether they response to this. I would like each of you to write a comment telling something funny or touching about your Mother (Marilee). Your commentary is in honor of her birthday earlier this month. Do it or pay the consequences ......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of memories of things Mom did that meant a lot to me growing up. One is the way she put my socks on when I was three or four when she would add the short foot massage afterwards. Another is the famous hair brushing before bed when we would get a few minutes to talk at the end of the day. One thing I am very proud and impressed by is the way you moved to the end of the world Moscow and made it home. You did so well that when I think of home I think of Moscow. That is pretty amazing.

Libbi said...

Well Jeff has had too many experiences with those consequences so I can understand why he would post so quickly. My mom-- there are so many fun things about her! I love watching her dance with my dad and especially try so hard not to laugh when he got hurt and would grumble. Also-- classic-- when she has to go to the bathroom and has to stop where she is until she is under enough control to quickly tip toe to the bathroom. Her sneezes with the tongue out are legendary as well. We have been reading chapter books in kindergarten and everyday we do it reminds me of reading books at night while brushing mom's hair as jeff has related. That seriously was one of my favorite things growing up. I-- despite protests-- love to do the chores with my mom on saturdays-- like cleaning the wood floors. I remember having issues with my friends at school and sitting down in the living room and talking to my mom about it and her telling me what to do or just listening no mas. The last memory is when I was in Russia with her before my mission and we would get our lunches ready and go in and watch an old movie together. Then we would discuss it afterwards which was more me than her really-- shocking I know-- but I really liked getting to do that with her everyday. She is ridiculously awesome-- that is my most important memory.

The Red Page said...

I love my momma. I remember fighting with Sarah and Rachel about taking her earrings out every night, apparently it was an honor to be the one to take them out or something. I remember loving to sit on her lap because she was so "comfortable" as I called it then, but now I know it's cause she was always so cozy and comforting to hug and be around. I remember when she dyed her hair "red" and I was so excited that I wasn't going to be the lone red head anymore, I would have a red head friend! It really was awesome. And I remember one day when someone asked momma who she thought she neglected most as a child, and she said that it was probably me- I was pretty shocked to hear that cause I never once felt neglected or ignored. You are an amazing mother and are so good at making all your children feel loved and adored, and in return we all love and adore you! I love you so much, momma!

Love, Emily

The Red Page said...

Wow, where did this come from? Dad was so proud of the blog he did himself but he would not tell me what it was so I figured it was just some of his great words of wisdom. This is a pleasant surprise and yes a little embarrasing. As if I do not miss you all too much as it is!!!

Baldwin Family said...

Oh, boy. How do you choose from all those funny and lovely memories? I love my mom. She is the dearest and most lovely person I know. Just thinking about her always makes me happier and more calm. Then I get a little sad because she is almost always so far away. I am grateful for her example, especially as I realize how unusual it is for people to look up to their mothers as much as I do mine. One of my favorite funny memories of her is from Christmas break one year when we were waiting in her bedroom while she changed into her pajamas. She burst through those doors into the bedroom and said "It's party time!" and did this little shimmy. I thought it was hilarious, and then she told me she was mimicking me. Oh well. I love you, Mom. Thanks for being so great.
Love, Kath