Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Amsterdam

Finding our Dutch Harry Potter book...
The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam

... checking out the map on the canal boat.

The canal boat.


The Anne Frank House and 1/4 of the line.

The final day of our trip we spent in Amsterdam. We made our way into the big city found the train station so we could park and catch a nearby canal tour. A favorite site of the trip was the train station. There was a parking garage for bikes that was 4 level and they were full of bikes! Amazing. The first stop on the canal tour for us was the Anne Frank house. Unfortunately there was an hour plus wait in line to get in. Dad was such a good sport to wait through. It was very interesting to hear the story and see the pictures and rooms and diary. We ten took the boat to the Rijksmuseum to see the famous art work of Veermeer, Rembrant and others. Emily and Abby went to the Van Gogh museum after that but Dad, Rachel and I sat in the park to rest from all the standing. Dad was anxious to find an english bookstore which we did and it was a really good one so we found some good reading for our trip home and then we found the Australian Homemade Ice Cream store that someone had told us not to miss and we had wonderful Belguim chocolate, lemon sorbet and raspberry sorbet. We drove back to our hotel and tried to find somewhere to eat in the town but instead we got stopped by a police woman who was quite rude asking if Dad could not read one way arrows - he could have if they had been there on the road we had gone down. She thought we had come off a different way. One more stop for the count. The next morning we left for Moscow. It was a great trip but we wish we were heading west not east.

1 comment:

Baldwin Family said...

Those glasses look a little snug, Emily! You guys are having too much fun. I wish I could be with you on all of your adventures. I never should have come visit! Now I know what I'm missing!